Sunday, January 15, 2012

Post Avalon 50 mile Race

It's the day after the race and I feel really good. I couldn't be more pleased with how the day went and even more happy that I came in under 9hrs.
    With the race starting at 5am I thought I would be freezing cold until the sun came up but the weather was perfect. Nice cool temps starting out and heading into a 1600' climb helped to keep me warm. It was an awesome view getting to the top of the first climb and looking back down the trail seeing a long line of runners headlamps zigzagging back down the mountain.
Bottles in the air. (sweet action shot courtesy of my wife)



A great race


Sprinting into the finish


At the start ready to run
My GPS almost made it the whole 50
    The first 13 miles went by really fast, I was making sure to pace myself and not go out to fast. I walked the steep hills and looking at my splits stayed under 13min/mil on all of those portions. The aid stations were fully stocked and all the volunteers were awesome and really helpful. I stayed on top of my hydration/nutrition needs utilizing salt caps, GU gels, Cytomax and water, with the combination I didn't experience any cramping and felt good. The only mistake I did make was drinking a Mango fruit drink at around mile 40 which left my stomach in knots and had me dry heaving for 3 miles. It slowed me down a bit but thankfully it didn't last that long and sipping on water definitely helped. The last few miles were on steep downhill roads and I just let my legs go and flew down. With my GPS dying at 44 miles I didn't know if I was going to make it under 9 so I just ran as hard as I could and hoped for the best. Coming into Avalon and seeing the race clock knowing that I was going to finish under 9 hours I was overwhelmed and chucked my water bottles in the air and almost didn't cross through the actual finish tape they had up.  My time was 8hrs and 49 min I finished about 37th overall and had an awesome day.  Next up Rocky Road Endurance 100 mile run in February.

No comments:

Post a Comment