Monday, January 30, 2012

Bakersfield Track Club 1/2 Marathon

Saturday the 28th of January, my wife and I headed down to The field of Bakers for a half marathon put on by their local track club. We left from Fresno with about 20 mins to spare, however we arrived without about 3 mins to grab our bibs and get to the start line.the reason being that I had declined the services of our GPS in finding the Yokuts Park. I figured since I could see the park from the freeway that I should be able to take the nearest exit and drive straight to it. That didn't work out quite as well as I had planned, so I turned on the GPS last minute. Anyways we got to the race so that's all that matters. My wife is about six months pregnant so going into the race she had a good, jog for 5 and walk for 3 min plan that we were going to follow. We started out at the back of the pack and it was interesting to see the different types of people in the back of the pack. I normally go out in or near the front so this was new to me. Some of the people were strictly walkers others looked like they had a run/walk plan like us and then some seriously looked like they had no idea what they had gotten into. There was this one couple that was dying around mile 2, literally bent over looking like they were going to die, I can't imagine being 2 miles into a race and feeling like that. We kept passing them and then they would sprint for a minute and pass us, we thought it was pretty funny. Around mile 3-4 I overheard one telling the other it wasn't to late to turn around and quit. Thankfully they provided good entertainment for a portion of the run because the route we took wasn't much to look at. I mean it's Bakersfield so I didn't expect a beautiful landscape, but the trail they have is pretty sweet. You can stay on the trail without having to cross a street for the whole route.
So we kept to our jog/walk plan almost the whole way until about the 11 mile mark when my wife's foot started to hurt, so we walked most of the way in. We finished around 2:54, and for a woman that is six months pregnant, that is pretty freaking amazing. All in all it was a great run and I was truly amazed that my wife did so well.

No comments:

Post a Comment