Sunday, July 14, 2013

Shadow of the Giants 50k 2013

     This years shadow of the giants was forecasted to be a hot one, the hottest day this year up at Fish Camp. My wife said she was bad luck, a month earlier at the Leona Divide race the same thing happened, record highs on race day. She ran the 50k at Leona and was also running SOTG. Bad luck or not, running up in the Sierra National Forest even in higher temps, is still enjoyable. You've got tons of trees to provide coverage and lots of beautiful distractions in the scenery. 
       I felt like I was in better shape this year and a little more experienced, so I figured this year would be a bit easier. However I seem to always keep that from happening, how you ask? Well I get a little faster or better at running hills through my training and then come race day I just go out even harder. So the race doesn't actually feel easier I may just finish a bit faster.
     The first hill I took a bit too quick and felt a little out of breath with my legs feeling a bit heavy. Then I hit some downhill, felt a little better until I high fived Baz at the bottom and had to go back up. My legs, mainly my calves continued to feel full and heavy but I didn't slow my pace. Then around mile 21ish that full feeling in my legs turned into cramping and my pace slowed. I ate and drank all along the way but with the higher temps it just means you've got to take in more fluids which I slacked on, I guess. The last 9 miles were back and forth, feeling ok then eh not so much. I was cool with it because no one was running close behind me or had passed me. Then around mile 25ish I look over my shoulder and Michelle Barton comes strolling along so I started to pick it up. That didn't work out, she caught me then passed me and shortly was out of sight. I came into the finish 10th overall in about 4:30, didn't feel amazing but not too bad either.
       I heard the battle for 1st came down to a sprint between Oswaldo Lopez and John Fitzgerald with Oswaldo taking it by 1second! My wife improved her trail 50k time by over an hour!  We hung out at the finish and cheered on the other runners, drank some beers and talked about running. A pretty awesome day!
    The following day I had volunteered to sweep the course, take down the ribbons and pick up any trash. I did this to fulfill my trail hours for the upcoming Tahoe Rim Trail 100 mile run. I was really happy that I felt good enough to complete the 50k course twice in 2days. It was cool being out on the trail by myself and really soaking in the scenery, since I wasn't in a hurry. I also nearly ran into bear on a fireroad back down the mountain but it bolted out into the woods before I could even worry about what to do next. Once I finished cleaning up the trail I headed back back home so I could start packing my bags for Alaska! 


 
   




No comments:

Post a Comment