Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Montana de Oro State Park Run

 August 8th 2012
       My wife, son and I got a chance to get out of town for a couple days and headed out to San Luis Obispo to see my sister, hang out by the beach, oh and run of course. A few weeks back one of our local running stores Soul 2 Sole hosted a big group run out of town at the Montana de Oro state park, I didn't get the chance to go along but since I was going to be in the area I knew this would be a good place for a run. Otherwise I probably would have just hit up the Bob Jones trail, which is nice but its a short bike path that cuts through a golf course and ends at Avila beach, still a beautiful place to run but I wanted to check out some real trails.
    I drove out to the park, which was only about 15 mins from our hotel in San Luis and according to the small map I was looking at the night before on my phone I was going to park just inside the entrance of the park. I parked on some dirt off the side of the road and looked for the trailhead, hoping that my car wasn't parked illegally.
       Based off the small map I had (see above) I started on the trail near the northern part of the park where the cable trail and bloody nose meet. Well somehow this map was not completely accurate or I just didn't read it right. From the way I saw it where the trail started there should have been a fork one for cable trail and one for bloody nose, yet I was heading down cable which was equivalent to running on the beach since it was soft sand, and saw no turnout. I could see another trail at the bottom  of a steep embankment but with no clear way to get down there. So after about 15 min I just decided to bushwack it down to the lower trail which turned out to be bloody nose trail. Finally on the correct trail I was able to enjoy the journey which wound down around and back up a small hill to a camping area, from there the trail forked. One way headed back towards the beach and the other took you up a little higher to Hazard Peak, which is the way I went. The climb up to Hazard peak was mellow and once at the top there are some benches so you can hang out and enjoy the awesome views. I wanted to continue running on some of the other trails but was limited on time so I just headed back to my car using the same route.
      I definitely look forward to running the trails out there again, with the perfect weather and awesome view who wouldn't want to run out there.
Trail Markers

Views from Bloody Nose Trail


Bloody Nose Trail


Headed up towards Hazard Peak

Hazard Peak

Looking Inland

Trail Marker
My Garmin Map
 

No comments:

Post a Comment